President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to take over the selection of the third major telecommunications player in the country if officials given the task fail to make the pick on time, an official said Tuesday.
Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) Secretary Eliseo Rio said officials involved in making the choice would be “dead” if the bidding is not finished before the holidays.
Rio, who also heads the Oversight Committee supervising the entry of the third major telco player, unveiled in a press briefing the latest selection schedule the President approved.
Based on this, the official said the third telco would be named by November.
“If the bidding fails and we cannot remedy it before Christmas, then we are dead and he [President Duterte] takes over. We will cross the bridge when we get there,” Rio told reporters in a press briefing.
DETAILED TIMELINE FOR THE SELECTION OF THIRD TELCO:
- Effectivity of the Memorandum Circular – October 6
- Invitation to Bid – October 7
- Issuance of Selection Documents – October 8
- Pre-selection Information Session and Form A training – October 15
- Last Day of Submission of Clarification Questions – October 22
- Last Day for Response of Clarificatory Questions – November 2
- Submission and Opening of Bids – November 7